Thursday, October 27, 2016

How to Make RUNNING Suck LESS!



Running is hard. You know this, I know this, we all know this. You may have a super hard run where it feels as if your head and legs are not on the same page. You may try a new route that is filled with hills and be exhausted after. However, on the other hand there are great runs out there waiting for you, too! You gotta take the good days with the bad days, because with anything, they are bound  to happen. That being said, today I wanted to share a few ways to make running suck less.

1. Create a custom playlist OR listen to a podcast: I am a huge advocate for listening to music that you love while on the run. During the Victoria Half Marathon I tuned into a playlist I made on Spotify. If you are interested, you can check out my running beats playlist here. Alternatively, during a run is a prime time to check out a podcast to pass the time. A few favourites of mine are The Skinny Confidential Him & Her podcast and The Bitch Bible. Be sure to check them out - they will keep you thoroughly entertained!

2. Take walk breaks. Running for 20, 30, 40+ minutes can be hard whether you are a newbie runner or if you have been running for a while. Don't be afraid to take walk breaks! This helps mentally break up the run, that way you can run for 9 minutes, say, and know that you have a 1 minute break coming up. I took this approach during the Victoria Half Marathon and it was an excellent way to give my mind and body a bit of a break. Plus I was able to refuel and rehydrate during this time, too!


3. Find a workout buddy. Running is easier with a friend. That is, if you like running with someone else. Your running partner can help make you accountable, and there is nothing better than chit chatting and catching up with a friend (or family member!) while you are getting your sweat on. Time tends to pass by when you are sharing stories too, and if you are racing, you have crushed a goal together, too!

4. Buy some cute workout gear. No, seriously. Having nice workout clothing gets me pumped up. There are few things I love more than shopping for exercise clothes. If you had to choose between a baggy pair of old sweat pants and a new pair of Lululemon capris, which ones would you pick? I know the answer is different for everyone, but I'd reach for the Lulu's and kill my run with confidence. Now, I'm not saying go by a new pair of shorts or a top every time you want to work out. No, treat yourself to something here and there to help keep you feel motivated. It's all part of that feel good, look good plan.

5. Document your journey. For me, I like to document my running journey on this blog. For others it may be a journal, a planner, or in list form. Whatever it is, keeping track will allow you to visually see your progress, and you can always look back and reflect on your journey. It's important to give yourself credit for all of your hard work, and seeing all the great things written down on paper will help you look forward to another good run later on!

---

For all the runners out there, what are some things YOU do to make running suck less?

No comments:

Post a Comment